- The movement to win Amnesty, or a pardon for Alvaro. The State and Federal U.S. judicial system has rejected all appeals in the case, despite gross violations of Alvaro’s legal rights. Although resort to a legal remedy is still open, based on “newly discovered evidence” of his innocence, frame-up, and the web of lies spawned by the police and prosecutors, such as the existence of a KOSA TV Channel 7 Odessa, Texas, news cast video tape and other evidence concealed by the State, the only possible freedom avenue now is amnesty or a pardon from the Governor of Texas and the President of the US for Alvaro. Key to said victory is the mass involvement and support of the power of the people, and obtaining real legal representation from a genuine pardon attorney interested in the case. The Committee to Free Alvaro will be seeking such legal representation, either through the creation of a legal defense fund to hire an attorney, or obtain the “pro bono” (charity) services of a movement attorney to take on the case. The Committee plans to produce petitions, defense funds and seek the support of progressive communities around world in these struggles, that must have the support of the national and international community. Stay tuned for further details.
- Click here to download a petition to free Alvaro – use it at events, share it with your friends and family and spread it far and wide! Completed petition sheets should be sent to:Central Campaign Coordinator
John S. Dolley, Jr.
Box 7187, 78713
- Distribute information about Alvaro and publicize his case locally, internationally. This is key to winning support of the mass movement necessary for Alvaro’s freedom. Master copies of literature can be downloaded from www.freealvaro.org in PDF (Adobe Acrobat Peader) format, or let us know and we can send you a set of literature masters. Copying and distributing these is essential. The Committee will also use donations and other funds to produce bumper-stickers, posters, T-shirts, buttons, record freedom songs by- recognized rap, hip-hop, conjunto artists and groups, appeal to celebr*ties for support, and produce a documentary film, and a exhibit in the case for presentation at events around the world. We will appeal to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights to investigate Alvaro’s case in that Alvaro was a delegate to the UN General Assembly in March 1993 and addressed the Commission on Human Rights In Geneva, Switzerland on human rights violations in the US and the illegal imprisonment of political prisoners, pows in US prisons and jails. There must be a united front effort to winning Alvaro’s freedom. Alvaro’s work in the areas of barrio/community/youth empowerment, makes his case worthy of addressing to your local Chicano/a, Mexicano/a, Latino/a community, as Alvaro was a much-invited quest speaker at many events, conferences, universities as a free man. Let word about Alvaro’s case spread like a prairie fire!
- Events and networking with other divergent groups. If you are doing a benefit event (music, film, conference, etc.) or project on social justice, the criminal justice system, or on political prisoners, please consider including Alvaro’s case and distribution of Committee materials at such events. Alvaro won’t be free, nor will any social injustice corrected, until we start to build a mass movement united in all the diverse movement organizat*4ons in the US and the world, and come to support and to defend our political prisoners whose only “crime” was to struggle for justice and for the national liberation, self-determination of their respective communities, like Alvaro, Mumia Abu-Jamal, Leonard Peltier, Jaan Laaman, Sundiata Acoli, Oscar Lopez Rivera, Sekou Odinga, and hundreds other freedom fighters languishing away in US prisons and jails, while this government criticizes other countries for the mistreatment of its political prisoners, yet spitting our more of its imperialist lies around the world.
- Consider starting a local freedom campaign support group, or high school, university movement for Alvaro. If you have the time, interest and passion to get involved with the Committee and to support Alvaro and work more closely with the campaign, we are looking to bring fresh people as organizers, spokespersons, and to serve as local, or international contacts, to publicize the case around the world. Financial donations and other contributions can be mailed to the Committee To Free Alvaro Luna Hernandez, c/o Box 7187, 78713.
Stay tuned for further updates.
* From his prison cell, Alvaro has requested that we dedicate the updating of his website and the resurgence of his movement to free him, to the memory of his Comrade-Brother RICHARD WILLIAMS, one of the 3 remaining Ohio 7 prisoners, who died at the Federal Correctional Medical Center in Punter, North Carolina, on December 7, 2005. (1947-2005). Alvaro states that Richard’s memory and his revolutionary, fighting spirit will always remain with him, and all oppressed peoples, of a true, dedicated liberation fighter in the spirit of Che Guevarra.